The City of Clarkston Police Department has implemented "Craigslist Safety Zone" which is a program geared toward making transactions arranged online safer. The Police Department is offering use of its Department parking lot and the Court Services Lobby to conduct from sites such as "Craigslist.” Clarkston residents can feel safe conducting business in a well-lit parking lot or in the lobby with an officer present. The Office hours are 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday-Friday for use of the Court Services Lobby. Also, upon request, police officers can check the serial number or VIN number of the item being sold to see if they are stolen, prior to completion of the transaction.
The following are a few safety tips when using online sites:
Craigslist - Best Practices
These tips for avoiding scams and frauds are directly from Craigslist.org.
• Deal locally so you can meet the people in person.
• Never wire funds via Western Union, Money Gram or any other wire service.
• Know that fake cashier's checks and money orders are common. Banks will cash them and then hold you responsible for the money.
• Craigslist provides no "buyer protection" or "seller certification."
• Never give out your financial information.
• Avoid deals involving shipping or escrow services.
• Only a scammer will "guarantee" your transaction.
• Never rent housing without seeing it first; never purchase expensive items sight-unseen.
• Never submit to a credit check or background check for a job or house listed on Craigslist until you have met the interviewer or landlord in person.
Craigslist - Tips for Staying Safe
And these are the tips from the site for staying safe during Craigslist merchandise sales.
• Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe.
• Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
• Be especially careful when buying/selling high-value items.
• Tell a friend or family member where you're going to meet some-one you contacted through Craigslist.
• Take your cellphone along with you.
• Consider having a friend accompany you during Craigslist purchases.
• Trust your instincts.