Abundant opportunities await you and your business in Clarkston. Offering a strategic location within metro Atlanta with proximity to 2-and-4-year educational institutions, favorable tax rates and a trained/trainable, diverse workforce, Clarkston is an ideal place for business growth and development.
Whether you're just starting out, selecting the best site, applying for permits or training a workforce, the City of Clarkston has access to resources that can help businesses of various types and sizes.
Starting a Business
- Complete the Business License Pre-Application form and schedule a consultation with Planning & Development to determine if the area in which you’re looking to establish your business is properly zoned.
- Complete Application for Business License and submit in-person at City Hall
- Inspections are conducted by the City Building Official (Certificate of Occupancy & Fire Safety Inspections) and City Quality of Life Officer prior to issuing a business license and/or certificate of occupancy.
All work, with the exception of painting and carpeting, will require additional permits. The most frequently requested permits are building, heating/cooling (HVAC), plumbing and electrical.
FOG (Fats, Oils & Grease) permits are required for restaurants and other hospitality-oriented businesses where a hood and grease trap is to be used. DeKalb County directly administers this process through the Department of Watershed Management. DeKalb County Watershed FOG Info page
- Planning & Development: (404) 296-6489 ext. 421
- Clarkston Zoning Ordinance:
- Building Permits (including trade permits): (404) 296-6489 ext. 410
- FOG Inspections and Permitting: DeKalb Department of Watershed Management, (404) 687-7150
- Certificate of Occupancy/ Fire Safety Inspections:Contact City Hall Annex, (404) 296-6489