END DATE: April 21, 2017
Are you looking for an opportunity to provide your leadership skills to a Community Based Police Department? The City of Clarkston is currently looking to hire one (1) Police Investigator/Detective Sergeant.
• Individual health insurance is provided with no employee cost and a reduced rate for dependent coverage is offered.
• Excellent defined benefit retirement plan at no cost to the employee.
• Ten paid holidays annually
• Twelve days of vacation to start, increasing to a max of 20 days of paid vacation annually
• Twelve paid days of sick leave annually
• Opportunity for Educational reimbursement
• To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City of Clarkston.
• While performing any procedure, all employees and contract personnel must observe applicable Safety, Health, and Environmental rules and guidelines. The use of appropriate personal protective equipment is required.
• Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
• Adhere to appropriate company operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
This position is directly subordinate to the position of Assistant Chief in the department, but may be held accountable to any superior officer. The work of this position involves performing administrative duties and coordinating manpower and equipment resources to ensure the effective performance of general patrol, traffic control and emergency assistance activities on an assigned shift. Duties may be performed independently in accordance with departmental rules and regulations; general orders and supervision are received from a higher authority. Specific instructions regarding non-routine situations may be given or received. Work is received through observation of results and evaluations of reports submitted. As a first line supervisor this position exercises the authority as a Shift Commander within the chain of command of the department. Assignment and hours of duty for this position are very flexible and will be made with the interests of the department as the final determining factor.
This position is responsible for assisting fellow officers with interdepartmental duties and city activities; responding to the needs of the general public by performing police investigations; compiling reports, preparing cases for trial and appearing in court; maintaining and updating records for proper documentation; working to achieve the highest level of cooperation and to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of law enforcement within the City of Clarkston.
• Supervises investigative personnel on assigned shift to assure adherence to department rules, regulations, and policies; monitors performance of personnel.
• Oversees complex criminal investigations including but not limited to: homicides, sexual assaults, armed robberies, home invasions, and property crimes such as burglaries;
•Examines and processes crime scenes under various weather conditions to obtain clues and evidence;
•Notes, marks, and photographs location of objects found, such as footprints, tire tracks, bullets and bloodstains and takes measurements of the scene;
•Obtains facts or statements from complainants, witnesses, and accused persons; takes depositions from victims; performs interviews and interrogations; records interviews;
•Obtains summary of incident from officer in charge at crime scene, taking care to avoid disturbing evidence;
•Analyzes completed police reports to determine what additional information and investigative work is needed; prepare charges or responses to charges, or information for court cases, according to formalized procedures;
•Testifies in court proceedings by providing reports, sketches and photographs;
•Maintains equipment to ensure that it is in a state of readiness;
•Preserves, processes and analyzes items of evidence obtained from crime scenes and suspects, placing them in proper containers and destroying evidence no longer needed;
•Records progress of investigation; maintains informational files on suspects; submits reports to commanding officer or magistrate to authorize warrants;
•Updates supervisor on the status of all assigned cases;
•Collaborates with other agencies; attends briefings and conferences with agencies requesting assistance;
•Performs other related duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree with course work in political science, criminology, criminal justice or related field required; Bachelor’s preferred; minimum five (5) years of investigation experience; training courses related to field of investigations; Georgia P.O.S.T. Certified; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applications are being accepted in the Clarkston Police Department at Clarkston City Hall, 1055 Rowland St, Clarkston, GA 30021. An application may be picked up at the City Hall or a printable copy of the employment application is available at www.cityofclarkston.com under the links page. Contact SGT Harry Hess for more information/interviews, 404-292-9465. All applicants must complete a Clarkston Police Application packet to be considered for the position. The application deadline is April 21, 2017 or until the position is filled.