POSITION: POLICE OFFICER
END DATE: Open Until Positions Filled
This position is responsible to assist fellow officers with interdepartmental duties and city activities; responding to the needs of the general public by performing rescues, giving information and direction, mediating disputes and deterring criminal activity within the community; compiling reports, preparing cases for trial and appearing in court; maintaining and updating records for proper documentation; working to achieve the highest level of cooperation and to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of law enforcement within the City of Clarkston.
- Patrols City of Clarkston to detect and deter criminal activity and traffic violations.
- Responds to calls relayed by communications officers, including domestic disputes, assaults, burglaries, traffic accidents, lost or missing persons searches, public service duties, stranded motorists, and others.
- Enforces Federal, State, and local laws by performing warrant, felony or misdemeanor arrests; implements physical confrontation when necessary; protects the civil rights of persons in custody.
- Enforces traffic and parking laws through the issuance of citations and warnings; performs routine inspections of roadways, bridges and traffic signals and signs to find and report any hazardous conditions;
- Conducts preliminary investigations into traffic accidents and other incidents, including interviewing victims, complainants and witnesses, gathering information and evidence, and securing crime scenes.
- Apprehends, arrests, and processes offenders, including fugitives; summons witnesses.
- Provides assistance and backup support to other officers as necessary.
- Provides first aid and CPR to victims as necessary and assists motorists.
- Provides traffic direction as needed for events such as parades, funerals, ball games, and school crossings.
- Presents evidence and testimony in courts of law; assists in prosecuting felony and misdemeanor cases.
- Assists stranded motorists, directs traffic when necessary; escorts special processions; transports prisoners to jail.
- Completes all required reports and forms, including accident and incident reports.
- Inspects and maintains an assigned patrol car and uniform. Maintains assigned uniform, vehicles, and equipment in accordance with departmental policy and procedures;
- Serves and executes criminal and traffic warrants on felony and misdemeanor suspects.
- Attends ongoing training classes as required.
- Participates in community relations projects as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
All Police patrol officers operate on 12 Hour Work Shifts.
High school diploma or equivalent; Associate’s degree or two (2) years college coursework preferred; valid Georgia Driver’s license US citizen; at least 21 years of age; Preference will be given to applicants that are Georgia P.O.S.T. Certified. Successful completion of the pre-employment process which includes oral interview, background check, criminal records and traffic history check, medical and drug screening, polygraph evaluation, and/or voice stress, successful completion of Police Academy; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Currently Offering Signing Bonus, If offered a position with the Department:
Entry Level/POST Academy Training - $37,440
Starting pay for Certified (POST) Police Officer - $43,680. (12 HR Shifts)
$2,000 - Signing Bonus for Georgia Certified Officers
$1,000 - Signing Bonus for Non-certified applicants
Applications for the Police Officer positions are being accepted until the positions are filled, in the Clarkston Police Department, 3921 Church Street, Clarkston, GA 30021. Applications available to download at www.clarkstonga.gov.
Contact SGT Gar Trumble, GTrumble@cityofclarkston.com, for more information/interviews 404-292-9465. All applicants must complete a Clarkston Police Application packet to be considered for the position.